- Students will investigate and discover relationships between temperature and salinity as the driving force behind the global conveyor belt.
- Students will differentiate the differences between surface currents and deep water currents.
- thermohaline circulation
- oceanic conveyor belt
About the Lesson
In this lesson, students will explore the global oceanic current system. Note: Students should use the TI-Nspire computer software or TI-Nspire™ Apps for iPad® for an optimal experience with this lesson. Some images may be difficult for students to read on the handheld.
As a result, students will:
- Discover that there is a global oceanic current system that is driven by changes in temperature and salinity.
- Explain the process of upwelling and what effect it has on the current system.
- Understand the impact thermal energy from the sun has on the current system.
This activity was created using Lua. Learn more about Lua in TI-Nspire here.