Applications and Interpretation | Probability and Statistics
In this activity, students will look at a problem situation that involves categorical data and will determine which is the appropriate chi-square test to use.
- Students will recognize that chi-squared tests are for counts of categorical data.
- Students will identify the appropriate chi-squared test to use for a given situation: X2 Goodness of Fit Test, X2 Test of Independence, or X2 Test of Homogeneity.
- Students will learn how to calculate the degrees of freedom for each type of chi-squared test.
- Students will interpret the results of a chi-square test.
About the Lesson
This lesson involves investigating chi-squared tests and distributions.
As a result, students will:
- Compare different scenarios and determine which chi-square test is appropriate.
- Write the appropriate null and alternative hypotheses for the given scenario.
- Determine the degrees of freedom for the chi-square test.
- Look at chi-square test results and make the correct decision to reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis and write their conclusions in context.