Solution 34848: Troubleshooting a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition that Displays Garbage Collecting... for More Than 20 Minutes.
What can I do if my TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition displays Garbage Collecting... for more than 20 minutes?The garbage collection allows the cleanup of unused archive memory. It deletes unarchived variables from the user data archive and it rearranges the remaining variables into consecutive blocks. When a variable is unarchived, the Archive free memory amount increases immediately, but the space is not actually available until after the next garbage collection.
If garbage collecting is more than 20 minutes, the calculator has possibly locked up and will need to be reset.
The reset procedure will delete all the items that are in the memory of the graphing calculator. Use the reset procedure below:
• Press and hold the reset button on the handheld's back.
• Press and hold down [DEL].
• While holding down [DEL], release the reset button.
The message Waiting... Please install calculator software should appear. At this point, it will be necessary to reinstall the calculator's operating system.
• Connect the calculator to the computer using the TI Connectivity Cable or DirectUSB Cable.
• In Windows®, click on Start >> Programs >> TI Tools >> TI Connect >> TI OS Downloader.
• In MacOS® X, open Hard Drive >> Applications >> TI Connect >> TI OS Restore.
• Follow the directions on screen to reinstall the calculator's operating system.
Click here for for detailed instructions on completing the operating system installation.
Please see the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition guidebook for additional information.