Solution 23370: Solving Quadratic Equations on the TI-30X IIS/B and TI-34 II Explorer Plus™.
How do I solve quadratic equations on the TI-30X IIS/B or TI-34 II Explorer Plus?
The TI-30X IIS/B and TI-34 II Explorer Plus do not have the functionality for solving equations. The variables on these calculators are solely for memory purposes. However, users can incorporate the variables into algebra by storing a value to the variable and using that variable to solve the expression. Please see the below example:
Example: Solve 2X^2+5X +3=0:
1) Store the value of coefficients of the expression to memory variables
2) Store 2 to A - Input 2 and press [STO>] [MEMVAR] [=]
3) Store 5 to B - Input 5, press [STO>] [MEMVAR] using right cursor scroll to B, and press [=]
4) Store 3 to C - Input 3, press [STO>] [MEMVAR] using right cursor scroll to C, and press [=]
Now, solve the expression using the quadratic formula:
5) Press [(] [(-)] [MEMVAR]
6) Use the right cursor to scroll to B and press [=]
7) Press [+] then [2nd] [square root] and [MEMVAR]
8) Use the right cursor to scroll to B and press [=] [X2]
9) Press [-], input 4 and press [MEMVAR] [=]
10) Press [MEMVAR] again and use the right cursor scroll to C, and press [=]
11) Press [)] [)] [÷]
12) Press [(], input 2 and press [MEMVAR] [=] [)]
13) Press [=] again for the result
The screen should display -1.
Please Note: To find the other value for the expression, use these set of instructions and replace [+] with the [-] (minus) key.Please see the TI-30X IIS/B and TI-34 II Explorer Plus guidebooks for additional information.