Solution 12161: String Commands on the TI-89 Family, TI-92 Family, and Voyage™ 200 Graphing Calculators.
What are the different string commands and their meanings on the TI-89 Family, TI-92 Family, and Voyage 200 graphing calculators?
The following are the different string commands and their meaning:
- # - Converts a string into a variable name. This is called indirection.
- & - Appends or concatenate two strings into one string.
- char - Returns the character that corresponds to a specified character code. It is the opposite of the ord command.
- dim - Returns the number of characters in a string.
- expr - Converts a string into an expression and executes that expression. This is the opposite of the string command.
- format - Returns an expression as a character string based on the format template (fixed, scientific, engineering, etc.).
- inString - Searched a string to see if it contains a specified substring. If so, the command returns the character position where the first occurrence of the substring begins.
- left - Returns a specified number of characters from the left side (beginning) of a string.
- mid - Returns a specified number of characters from any position within a string.
- ord - Returns the character code of the first character within a string. This is the opposite of the char command.
- right - Returns a specified number of characters from the right side (end) of a string.
- rotate - Rotates the characters in a string. The default is -1 (rotate right one character).
- shift - Shifts the characters in a string and replaces them with spaces. The default is -1 (shift right one character and replace with one space).
- string - Converts a numeric expression into a string. This it the opposite of the expr command.
Please see the TI-89 family, TI-92 family and Voyage 200 guidebooks for additional information.