Solution 10350: Finding the Determinant and Inverse of a Matrix on the TI-85 or TI-86.
How do I find the determinant and inverse of a matrix on the TI-85 or TI-86?
The example below will demonstrate how to find the determinant of a matrix on the TI-85 or TI-86.
Example: Using the data represented here in matrix A.
To enter the matrix,
• Press [2nd] [MATRX] [F2] to enter the matrix editor
• Input [A] press [ENTER]
• Input the dimensions of the matrix (3 [ENTER] 3 [ENTER])
• Input the values for the elements of the matrix pressing [ENTER] after each entry
• Press [EXIT] to return to the home screen
To find the determinant of matrix A,
• Press [2nd] [MATRX] [F3] [F1] the screen should show Det
• Press [2nd] [F1]
• Select A
• Press [ENTER]
Please see the TI-85 and TI-86 guidebooks for additional information.
To find the inverse of a square matrix, type in the name, then press [2nd] [EE], and then press [ENTER]. If the matrices determinant equals 0 an error message of "ERROR 02 DIV BY ZERO" will be returned.