In this lesson, students will use a Colorimeter to discover the relationship between absorbance and concentration of a solution to ultimately determine an unknown solution.
- Students will make a serial dilution of a NiSO4 standard solution.
- Students will use a Colorimeter to measure the absorbance value of each standard solution.
- Students will find the relationship between absorbance and concentration of a solution.
- Students will use the results of this experiment to determine the unknown concentration of another NiSO4 solution.
- correlation coefficient
About the Lesson
This lesson involves absorbance data for solutions of various concentration.
As a result, students will:
- Become familiar with TI-NspireTM technology and the Vernier DataQuestTM application.
- Use this graph to make conclusions about the experiment.
- Use a Colorimeter to make measurements.
- Analyze a graph of the data.
You may want to have students create a Lab Report using TI-Nspire following this lab activity. A sample lab report is provided in the downloads.