In this lesson, students complete the steps required to clone a single gene and express it in a model organism.
- Students will explore how scientists are able to isolate and study single genes.
- Students will be introduced to recombinant DNA and the molecular biology of cloning.
- Students will become familiar with the process of bacterial transformation, as well as with important molecular biology tools, including restriction enzymes, plasmids and ligase.
- sticky ends
- recombinant DNA
- restriction enzyme
- model organism
About the Lesson
Using simulations, students complete the steps required to clone a single gene and express it in a model organism. Assessments are embedded in the activity to engage discussion and gauge learning.
As a result, students will:
- Learn about the process of molecular genetics, including restriction enzymes, ligation, DNA transformation and the use of model organisms.
- Learn how scientists isolate a gene, recombine DNA and express that DNA in bacteria.