This activity uses Cabri™ Jr. to graph a line and show the equation of the line. The equations for oblique, horizontal and vertical lines are explored with emphasis on slope and y-intercept.
Before the Activity
Students require Student Activity Page
During the Activity
1. Use the Hide/Show tool to show the coordinate axes
2. Use the Coordinate and Equation tool to display the equation of the line.
3. Grab the line with the hand tool and move the line to the right.
4. Move the line to the left as shown in Figure 4. (see attached Word .doc)
5. Let go of the line and grab one of the points on the line. Move the point until the line is horizontal. See Figure 5.(see attached Word .doc)
6. Let go of the line and grab one of the points on the line. Move the point until the line is vertical. See Figure 6.(see attached Word .doc)
7. Let go of the line and grab the upper point. Move the point to the right.
8. Match the equation with the corresponding graph.
After the Activity
Review student results:
As a class, discuss questions that appeared to be more challenging
Re-teach concepts as necessary