In this lesson, students use a variety of simulations to interact with the structure of DNA in order to explore the building blocks and double helical structure of DNA.
- Students will learn about the structure of DNA, including base pairing.
- Students will be able to predict paired sequences of DNA.
- Students will understand how the structure of DNA affects its function.
- Phosphate backbone
- Base pair
- Double helix
- Deoxyribonucleic acid
About the Lesson
Using a variety of simulations, students will interact with the structure of DNA to explore the building blocks and double helical structure of DNA. Assessments are embedded in the activity to engage discussion and gauge learning. A guided lesson video (optional) is also available for this activity. The video is targeted at students and designed to help guide them through the interactive exploration and the concepts covered within.
As a result, students will:
- Learn to recognize the general structure of DNA and its nucleotides the nitrogen base, deoxyribose sugar and the phosphate.
- Learn to apply Chargaff's rules for base pairing, including predicting the sequence of paired DNA strands.