Graph exponential functions and explore by making changes in the parameters.
Change the parameters of the exponential function to discover that changes in:
- k result in vertical translations
- h result in horizontal translations
- a result in vertical stretches and compressions (dilations), and reflections across the x-axis
- b result in horizontal stretches and compressions (dilations), and reflections across the y-axis
About the Lesson
This lesson involves graphing exponential functions of the form y = a*baseb*(x - h ) - k. As a result, students will:
- Manipulate given parameters and make conjectures about the relationships between the parameters’ values and their effects on the resulting exponential function’s graph.
- Test their newly-learned knowledge and determine the exponential function for a given graph.