Students write and interpret a linear equation and an inequality with two variables and use the Inequality Graphing Application to map inequalities on a coordinate plane.
Before the Activity
Install the Inequality Graphing Application on the calculator using one of these two methods:
- TI Connect™, a TI Connectivity Cable, and the Unit-to-Unit Link Cable
- TI-Navigator™ "send to class" feature
See the attached PDF file for detailed instructions for this activity
Print pages 1-10 from the attached PDF file for your class
During the Activity
Distribute the pages to the class.
Follow the Activity procedures:
- Assign x to represent the number of 2-point field goals scored and y to represent the number of 3-point field goals scored
- Write a linear equation for the problem with two variables
- Rewrite the equation in slope-intercept form
- Graph the equation
- Record the ordered pairs that are possible solutions of the equation
- Rewrite the equation as an inequality (with the new condition)
- Use the Inequality Graphing application to graph the inequality
- Verify algebraically whether the points in the shaded region satisfy the inequality
After the Activity
Students will complete the Student Worksheet and answer questions.
Review student results:
- As a class, discuss questions that appeared to be more challenging
- Re-teach concepts as necessary