The NJ High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) assesses skills, concepts and understanding in four cluster areas. This activity set addresses Grade 11 Cluster II: Spatial Sense and Geometry.
Before the Activity
Check the readmefirst Cluster2 document for directions and necessary files
During the Activity
Cluster2.tip contains the following files:
1. TransformationGeometrySelfCk.edc a LearningCheck™ file which is set for self check mode. Students can use this activity to review terminology and the main ideas of this cluster and get immediate feedback on their responses.
2. Pentomino.doc Activities for students to investigate the important ideas of transformation geometry. Students are encouraged to make a set of pentominos and investigate their properties. Students are given directions on graphing the 'Y' pentomino as a line graph. The teacher can send a program, YPENTOM.8xp, which will set up the calculator and graph the 'Y' pentomino.
3. YPENTOM.8xp a TI 83+/84+ calculator program which will create a line graph of the 'Y' pentomino when executed. As an additional activity, students can modify the lists in the program to create some of the other pentomino pieces.
4. GetPentominoPixTransferList.tip. a tip file used to collect the pictures the students stored in the pentomino activity. By collecting these pictures, the teacher can assess the students' success. A slide show of the collected work might form the basis for an interesting class discussion.
Note: In order to add to the necessary information in the transfer list of "Class Connect" area, open the file in TI Package Explorer and from the File menu choose - Add Package to Transfer List.
5. Cluster 2 Assessment.edc- another LearningCheck™ file which is best used as a test bank. Questions are of the Multiple Choice, True False and Short Answer formats. These questions can be used as a test bank and pulled into a new edc file to give a class an assessment. Although True False questions are not part of the HSPA format, they can be used in a discussion for deciding what would need to be done to a false statement to make it a true one.
After the Activity
Review student answers:
As a class, discuss questions that appeared to be more challenging
Re-teach concepts as necessary