- Students will construct an understanding of frequency, amplitude, and phase shift.
- Students will develop the understanding of the sine function and how it relates to sound waves.
- Students will simulate the addition of two waves and observe that this addition forms sound dampening and beats.
- phase shift
About the Lesson
In this lesson students change characteristics of a sine wave to discover the frequency, amplitude, and phase shift. They will also use these properties to see the effect of adding two waves to form dampening and beats.
As a result students will be able to:
- Define, describe, and use the different characteristics of waves (frequency, amplitude, phase shift)
- Recognize and explain the result of adding two waves together.
- Explain the effect phase shift has on the sum wave.
- Recognize and explain the effect frequency and phase shift have on the sum wave.