- Students will observe the path of light as it moves from one medium to another.
- Students will relate the angle of incidence to the angle of refraction.
- Student will determine the equation relating the angle of incidence, angle of refraction, and the refractive index of each medium that light is passing through.
- angle of incidence
- angle of refraction
- refractive index
- Snell’s Law
About the Lesson
This lesson visually explores refraction of light as it passes through different substances with different indexes of light.
As a result, students will:
- Understand the how light is bent when it passes through a different medium.
- Be able to calculate the angle of refraction based on the ratio of the indexes of refraction