- Students will write equations for the dissociation of compounds in water.
- Students will use a Conductivity Probe to measure the conductivity of solutions.
- Students will determine which molecules or ions are responsible for conductivity of solutions.
- Students will investigate the conductivity of common drinks resulting from substituent compounds that dissociate to produce different numbers of ions.
- molecular acid
- molecular compound
- ionic compound
About the Lesson
This lesson involves testing the conductivity of common solutions.
As a result, students will:
- Perform the preliminary activity, and then generate a researchable question of their own.
- Plan their research, carry out the research plan, organize and graph the data, draw a conclusion, and communicate the results.