- Students will build several cells.
- Students will measure and display cell voltages.
- Students will discover which combinations produce a voltage.
- Students will decide which combination makes the "best" battery.
About the Lesson
In this experiment, students will learn that "juice" is a slang term sometimes used for electricity and that batteries are made up of one or more cells. They will also learn that cells often consist of two different materials in a solution that are connected to each other by a wire.
As a result students will:
- Study some basic principles of cells using the juice of a lemon as the cell solution.
- Place a small piece of two different materials into the lemon.
- Use a calculator to measure and display the voltages produced.