Observe what happens to ratios of pairs of side of rectangles and triangles.
- Students will identify corresponding sides and corresponding angles.
- Students will understand and use the definition of similar figures.
- corresponding sides
- corresponding angles
- similar figures
About the Lesson
Drag vertices of rectangles and triangles and observe what happens to ratios of pairs of sides within each figure. As a result, students will:
- Apply the definition of similarity to identify similar figures.
- Make connections between ratios within figures to ratios between figures.
- Confront two common misconceptions: defining similar figures as those with the same shape but different size and identifying all rectangles as similar.