Investigate probability by simulating tossing a coin three times.
- Students will identify the sample space of an experiment involving repeated independent trials.
- Students will calculate the probability of multiple independent events occurring.
- Students will gain understanding of the distinction of the relationship between theoretical and experimental probability.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively. (CCSS Mathematical Practice)
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning. (CCSS Mathematical Practice)
- sample space
- independent event
- dependent event
- probability tree diagram
About the Lesson
This lesson involves an investigation of probability by simulating tossing a coin three times.
As a result, students will:
- Understand probability of specific outcomes of repeated independent trials.
- Understand using a probability tree diagram to determine probability.