In this lesson, students will use a simulation to understand a macroscopic view of what occurs microscopically when two nonmetals react.
- Students will determine the ratio of two nonmetals needed to form a stable covalent compound or polyatomic ion.
- Students will relate the sharing of electrons to the formation of molecules.
- Student will learn how to write formulas for covalent compounds.
- covalent compound
- oxidation state
- valence electrons
About the Lesson
This simulation gives a macroscopic view of what occurs microscopically when two nonmetals react.
As a result, students will:
- Better understand how molecules are formed.
- Be able to write formulas for covalent compounds.
This activity was created using Lua. Learn more about Lua in TI-Nspire here.