In this activity, students will become familiar with a number of scientific measuring devices. They will become familiar with measurement, precision, certain and uncertain values, and significant figures.
- Take and record measurements using different measuring devices.
- Determine significant digits and estimated values of measurements.
About the Lesson
The following questions will guide student exploration during this activity:
- How does estimation factor into the process of taking measurements?
- Which parts of a measurement are significant digits?
The goals of this activity for students are:
- to determine the units of measurement for different measuring devices,
- take measurements using different measuring devices, and
- determine the estimated values and significant digits for various measurements.