In this lesson, students will model natural selection, providing an opportunity to make predictions about evolution in a population over a short period of time.
- Students know how natural selection determines the differential survival of groups of organisms.
- Students know both genetic variation and environmental factors are causes of evolution and diversity of organisms.
- Students know sexual reproduction produces offspring that inherit half their genes from each parent.
- natural selection
About the Lesson
Adapted from a PhET™ simulation, this lesson allows students to model natural selection, providing an opportunity to make predictions about evolution in a population over a short period of time.
As a result, students will:
PhET is a trademark owned by the Regents of the University of Colorado, which was not involved in the production of, nor do they endorse this product.
- Understand how natural selection drives evolution.
- Understand how populations change as a result of mutations and selection.
- See how parental genetics influence offspring.