In this lesson, students will model natural selection, providing an opportunity to make predictions about evolution in a population over a short period of time.
- Students will know how natural selection determines the differential survival of groups of organisms.
- Students will know why natural selection acts on the phenotype rather than the genotype of an organism.
- natural selection
About the Lesson
Adapted from a PhETTM simulation, this lesson allows students to model natural selection, providing an opportunity to investigate the mechanisms that lead to evolutionary changes.
As a results, students will:
PhET is a trademark owned by the Regents of the University of Colorado, which was not involved in the production of, nor do they endorse this product.
- Understand natural selection as a driver of evolution.
- Understand how populations change as a result of mutations and selection.
- Be able to distinguish phenotype and genotype