Students will identify corresponding parts of figures and use the definition of similar figures to solve real-world applications involving rectangles and triangles.
- Students will identify corresponding parts of similar figures.
- Students will apply what they know about similar figures to solve real-world design problems.
- corresponding parts
About the Lesson
In this lesson, students use similar figures to solve real-world applications. In Problem 1, students use similar rectangles to enlarge a photo. In Problem 2, students use similar triangles to estimate the height of a building.
As a result, students will:
- Use the definition of similarity to decide if two figures are similar.
- Model with geometry and apply the principle of similar figures to solve design problems.
- Explain the meaning of similarity for triangles as the equality of all corresponding pairs of angles and the proportionality of all corresponding pairs of sides.