In this activity, students will explore finding the line of best fit based on the sum of the squares of the residuals and determine what the linear regression line is.
Before the Activity
1. Distribute Student Handout to each student.
2. Students will plot the three points and calculate the regression line.
During the Activity
1. Students will open a Cabri™ Jr. document and plot the three points.
2. Students will draw an arbitrary line and use Cabri tools to find the sum of the square of the residuals.
3. Students will move the line around to determine what happens to the sum of the square of the residuals.
After the Activity
1.Students will compare the linear regression and the sum of the square of the residuals.
2.Class will discuss what the linear regression line represents.