Students use their knowledge of the vertex form of a quadratic equation to graph parabolas, given a specific move to make.
Before the Activity
This can be done individually or as a group activity. Use this lesson as a review or as extra practice after a lesson about writing quadratic equations in vertex form.
During the Activity
1) Students are told what type of parabola to graph based on a translation from y=x^2. See word document for a list of translations.
2) Use the activity center if you want students to see all graphs on the same coordinate plane. Use a standard window and set the activity so that students can only send one equation at a time.
3) Use screen capture if you want students to see all graphs on separate coordinate planes.
4) Hide the screen while students are graphing.
5) When time is up, show screen and discuss with students the correct and incorrect answers.
After the Activity
Review student answers:
As a class, discuss questions that appeared to be more challenging
Re-teach concepts as necessary