In this lesson, students will investigate two-dimensional vectors using the simulation of a boat crossing a river.
- Students will measure and describe one- and two-dimensional position, displacement, speed, velocity, and acceleration over time.
- Students will graphically calculate the resultant of two or more vectors.
- Students will use the Pythagorean theorem and the tangent function to calculate the resultant of two or more vectors.
- x- and y-components of a vector
- magnitude of a vector
About the Lesson
This lesson visually shows how a vector can be expressed as two component vectors, and an animated demonstration of the addition of two perpendicular vectors.
As a result, students will:
- Investigate two-dimensional vectors.
- Explore the resultant vectors produced when two perpendicular vectors are added.
- Use these relationships to solve problems involving the motion of a boat crossing a river.