In this lesson, students will use a simulation to observe and manipulate an electric current, voltage and resistance.
- Students will describe electric current, voltage, and resistance and the units of measurements for these physical quantities.
- Students will construct a simple circuit with an on/off switch.
- Students will construct a simple circuit with multiple bulbs.
- electric circuit
- electric current
About the Lesson
Adapted from a PhETTM simulation, this lesson uses a simulation environment for constructing electric circuits. Students construct simple series circuits and measure voltage and current. They also work with equations relating voltage, current, and resistance. A guided lesson video (optional) is also available for this activity. The video is targeted at students and designed to help guide them through the interactive exploration and the concepts covered within. (It may also be helpful for teachers who may be using the activity for the first time.)
As a result, students will:
PhET is a trademark owned by the Regents of the University of Colorado, which was not involved in the production of, nor do they endorse this product.
- describe an electric circuit
- use formulas to calculate resistance, voltage and current
- construct series circuits