In this lesson, students will simulate, observe and manipulate the variables of lever and fulcrum as well as force vectors and torque.
- Students will describe a lever and fulcrum.
- Students will define force vectors and torque.
- Students will solve proportions for balancing different weights on a teeter-totter balance.
- simple machine
About the Lesson
Adapted from a PhETTM simulation, this lesson is a simulation of a teeter-totter where people and objects of different masses are placed at either end to test for balance. This provides and opportunity to explore a lever and fulcrum simple machine, as well as to measure torque
As a result students will:
PhET is a trademark owned by the Regents of the University of Colorado, which was not involved in the production of, nor do they endorse this product.
- Describe a lever and fulcrum
- Define weight as a force, as well as the unit of measurements for force.
- Measure torque and solve equations involving torque.