The CBL™ 2 data collection device, the second generation of the CBL™ device, is a portable, handheld, battery-operated data-collection device for gathering real-world data. Data collected with a CBL™ 2 device can be retrieved and analyzed by TI graphing calculators. With the CBL™ 2 device and appropriate sensors, you can measure motion, temperature, light, sound, pH, force and much more.
Over 50 sensors from TI and Vernier Software & Technology are available making the CBL™ 2 data collection device ideal for middle school math, science, biology, chemistry, physics and high school math. Students discover how math and science affect the world around them by developing hypotheses, conducting experiments and forming conclusions.
Three probes are included: light, temperature and voltage, and a wide range of other probes for maths, biology, physics and chemistry are available from your usual supplier. Additional probes are manufactured by Vernier.
Easy Set Up with Built-in User Program: DataMate
Allows you to transfer the program to your calculator with the push of a single button. Start collecting data right away, or set up the CBL 2 for more sophisticated applications.
Upgradable Flash Memory
Update your user program with the most current version of software. Update the functionality of the CBL 2. Use the remaining Flash memory to store multiple experiment trials, experiment setups, or other programs.
Convenient Cradle System
The CBL 2 and graphics calculator become one unit for portable single-handed use great for transporting on field trips!
Compatibility with Industry Standard Sensors
The CBL 2 is compatible with most existing CBL™ programs and workbooks. CBL 2 is also compatible with many popular probes for data logging when used with an optional adapter. These adapters and additional probes are available from TI distributors and Vernier.
CBL 2 kit comes complete to help you get started
Includes 3 probes: an improved stainless steel temperature probe, voltage probe and light probe. Includes innovative cradle system and a six-inch link cable. Also includes a Teacher's Guide containing experiments for science and maths, a TI resource CD, and 4 AA batteries.
QUICK SETUP Mode
Collect data without the calculator using auto-ID probes. Reconnect to a calculator or computer to retrieve and analyse the data.
Collect approximately 12,000 data points (depending on memory) at rates of up to 50,000 points per second. Four Channels for data collection: 3 analog, 1 sonic/bi-directional digital.
Start exploring the world around you with the CBL™ 2 data collection device
- CBL™ 2 device
- TI stainless steel temperature sensor
- TI voltage sensor
- TI light sensor
- Calculator cradles (one for TI-83 family/TI-89/TI-73 Explorer™ graphing calculators and one for TI-84 family/TI-89 Titanium/new TI-73 Explorer™ graphing calculators)
- Six-inch unit-to-unit link cable
- Teacher guide containing experiments for science and math
- TI resource CD
- Four AA alkaline batteries
Get the latest software version
The CBL™ 2 device uses FLASH technology, allowing you to upgrade to new software without buying a new device. As future software upgrades become available, you can download the software to your PC and then use the TI-GRAPH LINK™ cable to upgrade your CBL™ 2 device.
Upgrade to the current version of Vernier EasyData® or Vernier DataMate® apps and increase the functionality of your CBL™ 2 device so you can store multiple experiment trials, experiment setups and other programs.
More info on latest software
Purchase TI-GRAPH LINK™
Compatibility with TI-SmartView™ emulator software
Connect the CBL™ 2 device to the TI-SmartView™ emulator software for the TI-84 Plus family of graphing calculators to display data-collection activities to the entire class. The CBL™ 2 device can also be used with the TI-SmartView™ emulator to capture key screenshots while collecting and analyzing data.
Using a cradle, the CBL™ 2 device and your TI graphing calculator become one unit for portable, single-handed use. Your CBL™ 2 device comes with two cradles, one for the TI-83 family, TI-89 Titanium and TI-73 Explorer™ graphing calculators, and the other one for the TI-84 family, TI-89 Titanium and the new TI-73 Explorer™ graphing calculators.Purchase cradle for TI-84 Plus family and TI-89 Titanium graphing calculators
CBL™ 2 device specifications
- Four channels: three analog inputs, one combined ultrasonic/bi-directional digital port
- One MB Flash ROM memory (operating system is electronically upgradeable, update built-in user program, ~600K bytes available for archiving)
- Multipurpose user program for TI-73 Explorer™, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium, TI-92 and TI-92 Plus graphing calculators built into the Flash memory (easily transferred to the calculator with a button push)
- User programs will be language localized (available on TI resource CD and TI website)
- 50,000 sample per second data collection rate (maximum rate)
- Collect up to 12,000 samples and store them on the RAM of the CBL™ 2 device
- 24K bytes RAM available on CBL™ 2 device for data collection
- Collect data with the push of two buttons using the Quick Setup feature of the CBL™ 2 device (without the use of a calculator)
- Ability to store experiment files along with data sets in the Flash memory
- Can retrieve stored experiment files using any supported calculator
- Ability to use the CBL™ 2 device Flash ROM to store (archive) any type of user programs or apps
- Compatible with most existing CBL™ 2 programs
- Three LEDs on the CBL™ 2 device for direct user feedback
- One-handed design (unique docking cradle included) with attach calculator to CBL™ 2 device )
- More than 40 sensors are directly supported with built-in calibration information (TI and Vernier sensors)
- New stainless steel temperature sensor, voltage and light sensors included
- Ability to add custom sensor to the Sensor menu
- Ability to “power up” sensors requiring stabilization period (pH sensor, CO2 sensor)
- Real-time data collection from multiple channels
- Real-time velocity measurements through sonic channel
- Compute first and second derivatives on collected data
- Sophisticated data smoothing algorithms built-in
- Real-time data smoothing available on analog and sonic channel (light, medium, heavy)
- Record absolute or relative time as data is collected
- Will be compatible with TI InterActive!™ computer software
- Collect data on up to four channels simultaneously
- Battery voltage regulator for improved accuracy at low battery levels
- Port for connecting to supported calculators and TI-GRAPH LINK™
- Computer based CBL™ 2 Flash Manager Software available
- AC adapter port