- Students will write mole ratios from balanced chemical equations.
- Students will use mole-to-mass conversion to determine mass of reactants and products given the number of moles.
- Students will calculate the number of moles and the mass of a reactant or product when given the number of moles or the mass of another reactant or product using the balanced chemical equations.
- Students will list the steps used in solving stoichiometric problems.
- mole ratio
- mole-to-mass conversion
- mass-to-mole conversion
- molar mass
About the Lesson
This lesson involves students using a simulation of three combustion reactions to develop skills necessary to solve stoichiometric problems.
- Students will use the combustion of methane to analyze mole ratios in chemical reactions.
- Students will the use the combustion of propane to analyze mole to mass conversion.
- Finally, students will use the combustion of propane to analyze mass to mole conversion.
As a result, students will:
- Reinforce the skills of balancing chemical equations
- Develop a method of solving stoichiometry problems