We've made it easy!
Who should take this course: Teachers of geometry and secondary mathematics teachers in grades 7-12.
TI educational technology used: TI-83 Plus or TI-83 Plus Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus or TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, TI-GRAPH LINK™ cable, TI-GRAPH LINK 83 or TI Connect™ software
Note: The TI technologies are not included in the cost of the course.
Objective: This course introduces ways of incorporating graphing technology into your geometry lessons to enrich instruction and extend your students' comprehension. Essential geometry topics such as Intersecting Lines, Angles and Transversals, Translations, Reflections, Rotations, Dilations, Transformations, Triangles, Quadrilaterals, Area Relationships, Chords, Secants, and Tangents, and Circles.
Focus: The primary focus of this course is to use the TI-83 and TI-84 family of graphing calculators and Cabri Jr. to enhance the teaching and learning of geometry. This course contains 27 self-paced learning modules written by experienced teachers. Each module has 2-4 lessons as well as tips and hints on integrating the graphing calculator into your lessons plans.
Note: There is no credit or certificate of completion available for the completion of this course.
- 1024 x 768 monitor resolution. These movies are 680x580. A screen resolution of 1024x768 gives the best viewing size, but 800x600 works well, too.
- Internet access (128kbs or better). Access using a broadband internet connection is best. These courses will work via a dial-up connection but will be slow.
- Internet Explorer™ recommended
- Macromedia Flash™ 7 Player (or later) (click here to download and install)
Note: For courses involving a TI-84 Plus graphing calculator, TI SmartView™ is used to show the calculator keyboard and screen displays. More information on the TI-SmartView presentation software package, click here.
These movies work much like a VCR. Use the menu bar at the bottom of the screen to rewind, play, fast forward, pause and stop or use the status bar to move between sections.
The “Show Me” button takes the user step-by-step through the lesson. If you feel you are familiar with the material you may want to skip forward and use the “Let Me Try” feature to test your knowledge.
Questions or get technical support:
1-800-TI-Cares or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each lesson consists of an interactive Shockwave movie. The lessons cover geometry principals, theorems, properties, and phenomena using the Cabri Jr. App for the TI-83 and TI-84 Plus graphing calculators. You will be able to complete the activity right in your web browser on a 'simulated' TI-84 Plus calculator (actually a recording of TI-SmartView). You must follow the audio instructions as you work through each lesson, as you will hear which key or keys to press to make the movie proceed. Along the way, the movie will pause and wait for you to press the appropriate key(s). Each movie also has a player control at the bottom center so that you can go forward or backward in the movie. Some frames of a movie may contain a 'continue' button or a 'click for answer' button that you should click to continue. At the end of the movie there is a 'COURSE HOME PAGE' button in the lower right corner that brings you back to this page. You can return to this page before completing the movie by pressing the 'BACK' button on your browser's toolbar.
You may also wish to follow along on your own graphing calculator. To load and use Cabri Jr. press the Apps key on your calculator, select Cabri Jr. and press any key when you see the title screen. If there is already a construction on the screen, you can clear the screen by either:
Press F1, select "New..." and answer either "Yes" or "No" to the 'Save Changes?' dialog box with the arrow keys and Enter.Press F5, select "Clear..", press right arrow and select "All Objects". Answer "Yes" to the 'Are you sure?' message.
Much of the cursor movement in Cabri Jr. has been eliminated in these lessons to reduce the number of clicks you must supply and to reduce the file size of the movies. As a result, you will see the pointer on the calculator screen jump around from place to place. On your calculator you will have to move the pointer to the correct position using the arrow keys.
Some of the later lessons will begin with a construction already started. You learned to create this state in a previous lesson.
These movies are 680x580. A screen resolution of 1024x768 gives the best viewing size, but 800x600 works well, too.
- PLAY ME FIRST: An important introduction to Cabri Jr. and some tips about using the lessons in this course.
- Module 1 "BETWEEN"
- Module 2 VERTICAL AND SUPPLEMENTARY ANGLES
- Module 3 TRANSVERSALS AND ANGLES
- Module 4 BISECTORS
- Module 5 DISTANCE
- Module 6 TRANSLATIONS
- Module 7 REFLECTIONS
- Module 8 ROTATIONS
- Module 9 DILATIONS
- Module 10 COMBINING TRANSFORMATIONS
- Module 11 SPECIAL TRIANGLES
- Module 12 ANGLES IN A TRIANGLE
- Module 13 SIDES AND ANGES OF A TRIANGLE
- Module 14 PROPORTIONS
- Module 15 MIDSEGMENTSOF A TRIANGLE
- Module 16 TRIGONOMETRIC RATIOS
- Module 17 SPECIAL SEGMENTS IN A TRIANGLE
- Lesson 1 - the median, angle bisector, and altitude of a triangle
- Module 18 CENTERS OF A TRIANGLE
- Module 19 CENTERS OF A TRIANGLE CONTINUES
- Module 20 QUADRILATERALS
- Lesson 1 - constructing the special quadrilaterals (kite, trapeziod, isosceles trapezoid, parallelogram, rhombus, rectangle, and square
- Module 21 PROPERTIES OF QUADRILATERALS
- Module 22 MIDSEGMENTS OF A QUADRILATERAL
- Lesson 1 - the midsegments of a quadrilateral
- Module 23 OTHER SEGMENTS IN QUADRILATERALS
- Module 24 AREAS AND QUADRILATERALS
- Module 25 ANGLES AND CIRCLES
- Module 26 SEGMENTS AND CIRCLES
- Module 27 EQUATION OF A CIRCLE
How to take this course
No charge for the course. It is now FREE. No time limit. There is now an unlimited time for completing the course. No user name and password required.
Just click on the course outline then click on the module that you would like to take. When you are finished with a lesson, click on the next one.