In this coding activity, students will use functions, translations, and rotations to create works of art.
- Define and use functions
- Use function notation to modularize code
- Use loops to repeat lines of code
- Use functions in a problem-solving situation
- Represent transformations in the plane
- Given a regular polygon, describe the rotations and reflections that carry it onto itself
About the Lesson
In this project, students will create rotational pieces of artwork. First, they will use functions, loops and exterior angles, to create regular polygons. Next, students will use translations to move your polygon to various locations on the coordinate plane. Lastly, they will use rotations, to create rotational pieces of artwork.
Note: This lesson requires the use of TI-Nspire™ CX II technology with OS 5.2 and above. Students will also need to have installed the Python Turtle module.