- Students will use symbols to represent unknowns and variables.
- Students will look for patterns and represent generalizations.
- Students will represent relationships among quantities using visual models, tables, graphs, and words.
- Students will define, evaluate and compare functions (CCSSM).
- Students will reason abstractly and quantitatively (CCSS Mathematical Practice).
- Students will look for and make use of structure (CCSS Mathematical Practice).
- growth rate
- constant rate
- linear function
About the Lesson
This lesson involves using pattern growth to construct functions.
As a result, students will:
- Explore growing tile patterns pictorially, graphically and in tabular form.
- Examine the relationship between the stage number and the number of tiles.
- Determine a rule for the number of tiles as a function of the stage number.